Friday, August 31, 2007

Week 7 Thing 16

Explored Wikis. I was familiar with Wikipedia but had no idea that there were other sites where anyone could add, remove or edit content on the site. I took a look at the library wikis listed in this weeks exercise.
I can see how libraries could use wikis both for collaboration among library staff and with their customers. Wikis are also good ways to share best practices. I can think of several times when each branch has been asked to submit best practices on a certain issue. It would have been easy for each branch to enter their best practices in a wiki instead of sending them in and having them compiled. Wikis could also be used to share program ideas. Out of the wikis on our list to look at, I particularly liked the Book Lovers wiki. It is a great reader's advisory tool. I also liked the ALA conference wiki. It is very informative and a good source of information for conference attendees since it covers not only the happenings in the conference but information about the area where the conference was being held. I can see positive uses of wikis in libraries. But I still do not trust using ones like Wikipedia as information sources. It is just too easy for anyone to edit the content and how can I be sure that the information is correct.

No comments: